Friday, May 20, 2011

Getting Curl


Hey! It's Kaeli, Mika asked me to talk about how to curl hair. Personally I love to curl my hair because if I don't... it goes super straight and super flat. I have the kind of hair that never needs a flat iron, but if I don't blow-dry it, it has absolutely no body. So the first thing I want to tell you about are the curlers pictured above! I got a set for Christmas and I LOVE them. First off, don't be too skeptical. I was a little skeptical at first. They look crazy, and the idea is almost unbelievable but these curlers are basically flattened tubes that are coiled in to curls. You stick a hook through the tube and it uncoils the curler, then you catch your hair with the hook, pull it through and let it recoil. Here's the demo from their website:


I love absolutely everything about these curlers. They work great! You can purchase them at Sally's Beauty Supply stores or online at: http://www.curlformers.com.
They come in different lengths and widths for longer hair or bigger curls. I highly recommend them. The only downside is if you are used to curlers you can sleep in, these won't be the most comfortable, but I've done it before and it wasn't entirely terrible either. You can purchase them in large sets or smaller packages so you will be able to find an affordable price.

Now let's talk other curling options:

1. Foam curlers: I always used to use foam curlers because my hair hates to hold curl, but they were messy and hard to use and my hair always ended up in knots when I pulled them out. I don't really recommend them. But if you don't want to get the Curlformer curlers, and your hair doesn't hold curl... they are probably a good way to go. And they are a little more comfortable if you have to sleep in them. They also come in different sizes for tighter or looser curls, and since your hair just wraps around them you don't have to worry about different lengths. They do give nice curl, but since hair is so layered and tightly wrapped in them, sometimes it remains damp, even through the night and curls don't always stay.

2. Curling Irons. We'll discuss two kinds of curling irons here.

-Your basic barrel curling iron, of whatever size. If you're anything like me curling irons were just a myth. Some nice little thing that everyone else used to achieve great curls, but whenever you tried it was a more like 2-second curl. I have a few suggestions for using curling irons. Don't clamp your hair in and then twist the iron. It works for some people, but for me it was never effective, it gave me volume-less curls that eventually just went straight. Then I learned to wrap my hair around the curling iron by hand. I'm pretty sure this method has been around as long than electricity, but we've some how forgotten about it with all the excitement of modern technology. Take the curling iron and a section of hair and wrap your hair, starting as close the roots as you can get, tightly around the barrel of the curling iron. OVER the clamp. Do not clamp your hair into the curling iron. Hold it a little bit longer than you would with it clamped in and then let go. TA-DA it's even a prettier curl, I think. My hair in the bottom picture in the "About Me" section was done this way.Plus I usually do my whole head this way, wear that way for the day, and then in the morning I brush it out into pretty waves. The curl will last through the night!

I highly suggest always putting gel in your hair while it's damp and then blow drying it completely before even attempting to use a curling iron. It will just work better. I promise.

Don't use too much hairspray! Hairspray should go on lightly over pieces just before curling them or after curling your entire head of hair do not spray it on individual pieces that you've just curled. Make sure to hold the hair spray at least six inches from your hair, if not more. Holding it too close applies it to thick and adds moisture. This gives your hair weight and moisture which will actually make it go flat faster!

-Three Barrel Curling Iron. I LOVE three barrels. They are fast and easy and give you beautiful wavy hair. You can get them in all different sizes and they give plenty of shape and body to your hair, without giving you too much "poof" if you know what I mean. I use mine all the time and I love it you can purchase them anywhere from Wal-Mart to a beauty supply store like Sally's. I bought mine at Sally's, which by the way, is a store that I highly recommend for hair care products as well as nail polishes and other nail care supplies. They can be affordable or expensive, never pay more than you are comfortable with, but they are definitely worth a little extra money. Once again, I would recommend using hair gel first and then light hairspray after for hold and volume!
Hope these were some good tips! Enjoy!

P.S. I'll try to get a video tutorial up on my curling soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment