Friday, September 20, 2013

Dear Mothers and Future Mothers.



Dear Mothers and Future Mothers,

This letter is to all past, present or future moms or anyone who interacts with children on a regular basis. As many of you know, kids are extremely impressionable. They pick up on EVERYTHING. That swear word you just said? Heard it and repeated. The candy bar you snuck in before dinner? Saw it and tried it the next night (and probably got in trouble.) Now, these are all very obvious things. But what is not so obvious is what you say without thinking. I'm talking about body image comments.
 
We all do it. We all say things like, "I wish I was taller!" or "I used to have a nice figure like hers when I was young. Now I'm just gross and fat." Kids pick up on these! How are we supposed to teach them good body image when we say derogatory towards ourselves? It doesn't matter if you say it half jokingly either because children can't usually tell between sarcasm and what is a legitimate sentence. For example, when you say you are fat, your little girl is going to grow up thinking that your body is the standard for being "fat." Chances are, she will have your body type and then think, "Well, if mom is fat, I must be too." And if you are thinking that you are safe because you have all boys, think again. They are going to grow up and they may think that their girlfriends/significant other is fat/unattractive or whatever. This is not ok. Kids are programmed to love how their mother looks. They KNOW from a young age that they have the most beautiful mother on the planet. Don't change that outlook.
 
Ladies, we need to stop saying mean things about ourselves. Your little girls look up to you. Media only plays a miniscule part on molding their perception of beauty compared to you. You are their role models. Let me rephrase that so you all understand completely. YOU ARE THEIR ROLE MODELS. You. Must. Stop. If you have a hard time stopping, make a goal that you won't say it in front of the kids. Baby steps! Once you have mastered that, stop completely. Changing the way we all perceive ourselves starts with us.  None of us want our children to grow up thinking that they aren't enough. It is not fair to them. Please, please, please think about it.
 
Plus, the less mean you are to yourself, the happier you will be and the better mom, wife, friend, sister, ect you will become. And while I am on the subject, moms: Please take care of yourselves. I watch What Not to Wear every chance I get. I love both the physical and the mental transformations that happen. Don't let yourselves go. I always feel a million times better on my bad/sad/gross days if I get ready, even if it is just a little mascara and a clean outfit. I promise you will have more energy and feel like you are the most awesome person alive (which, let's face it, you are! Work it.) You are amazing creatures and you do so much for your family and friends so start treating yourselves like you deserve. You wouldn't send your kids out looking like a hot mess so you shouldn't either!      

I'm just saying. I really do know what I am talking about and I don't mean to sound like I am lecturing but I just want you all to be the best you can be because you are incredible and I am grateful to you.

So the challenge this month is:
- Stop belittling yourselves.
- Take a few minutes for yourselves each day.

I swear to you that this will enrich and improve your lives greatly.

Tons of love,

Mika.

1 comment: