Monday, August 1, 2011

Summer Staple.

One of the best things about summer? Sundresses! Oh yes. I don't know about you guys but it is seriously hot where I live. And I don't have A/C in my vehicle! Talk about suckfest. I lose at least 5 pounds every time I get into my car from sweating so much. So what I'm trying to say is I am not a fan of heavy clothing (or clothing at all for that matter) in the heat.

There are those who are against dresses and use the following excuses:
1. You hate being 'exposed.'
2. You are more of a tom boy.
3. You have an odd body shape.
4. You don't have a lot of time to be all girly.
5. You want to be 'comfortable.'

No way honey! There are so many different kinds of sundresses out there that everyone can find at least one. I will now explain my counter attack for each excuse made. Ready or not, here we go!

You don't like being exposed? Well no worries. There are a lot of modest dresses that are lightweight and cover you up. Check out the one below. It is a bright color and flowy but also cinches at the waist for shape! Such a great dress for summer!



So you gravitate more towards the masculine side of the scale eh? Girls, say hello to the shirt dress. It will be your friend! It breathes very nicely and has a boyish feel to it. Want to dress it up? Add a sweet belt like the one here. Want to give it an athletic feel? Add some lace up shoes like Vans, Converse or Keds.

Being self conscience about your body is something everyone goes through. If you want to hide areas that you think are 'problematic,' opt for a dress with an empire waist. Don't go too tight or too baggy because this will just make you look bigger. This style is really good for those who are athletically built, plus sized or pear shaped. If you have an hourglass figure, or invertedly triangled, go for a different style because this one will make your waist look heavier. A little confusing but just go with it. If you are afraid of falling out up top with the first green dress, try the second one.I'm late, I'm late for a very important date! No time to say "Hello! Goodbye!" I'm late, I'm late, I'm late! I hear ya little white rabbit. I combined excuse 4 and 5 into one dress. Life comes at you fast. But this look takes literally 10 seconds. Look for a dress that you can slip on when you shop. The one below has stretchy fabric up top so you get shape without any effort. Throw on some bracelets or a necklace and flats. Done. "But I'm just going grocery shopping! Why can't I wear my pajama pants/sweats?" Cause that is a HUGE no no. Just don't do it! Be a big girl and get dressed. Its only ok if you are sick and/or dying. Even still, send someone else. This dress is just as comfy and it looks like you care. Alright, I am done scolding!
So that's that! Sundresses can be super laid back for day wear but can also be dressed up for evening events. I recommend them for every closet. They are just really convenient and so lovely. :)

Feelings on dresses?Hate them or love them? Comments, questions, and opinions are welcome and encouraged!

Love, Mika.









1 comment:

  1. I'm with you all the way, my dear. Another good thing to consider is that people who wear pants every single day get overheated more often. Choosing to wear dresses and skirts when the weather is hot is not only a good style choice, it's a healthy one.

    ReplyDelete