Thursday, June 30, 2011

Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Today, I am going to be writing about what happens in the shower. Don't get all in a tizzy, I'm just talking about washing your hair. (Also, give it up for my little brother Mataki for sportin' a shampoo mohawk.) So for about... 18 years of my life, I washed my hair the same way. (Note: This was when my hair was really long.) Step 1, shampoo the entire head and then rinse. Step 2, condition the entire head and rinse. I then went to my hair dresser one day and she asked me how I washed my hair. I explained and she basically said I was committing a hair sin. :/ Oops. Then, she clarified how I should be doing it.

First off, you are only supposed to shampoo your roots. Do not shampoo the ends because they are already dry and adding the shampoo just makes it worse. Don't worry about the bottom still being dirty because when you wash it out, the suds from the top will get all the dirt at the ends. After you rinse, just condition the ends of your hair. If you get the top, your roots will be weighted down and your hair will lack volume. At the end of your shower, blast your beautiful tresses with cold water. Why would you do this? Because being uncomfortable for a moment or two means shiny hair.

I tried this and I could immediately tell a difference! Before, my hair was really stiff and I have extremely thick hair so I had a major triangle shape going on. After, my luscious locks became softer and had so much movement I didn't know what to do with it! I was spinning and smiling and flipping my hair so much I honestly felt like I was in a hair commercial. I can't even tell you how many times I heard, "Um Mika... what are you doing?" Not gonna lie, it was a little embarrassing at times. Worth it? You bet it was!

Also, make sure you alternate every so often between brands of shampoo. Using the same one all the time can cause your hair to 'grow immunity' to it. I like to switch between Dove and Garnier Fructis. I also really love the one from Costco but I don't live near one so I don't usually get to use it. Garnier smells fantastic and Dove makes your hair super silky. Also, don't be afraid to mix shampoo types such as volumizing shampoo and straight 'n smooth conditioner.

Now, before I leave you today, please enjoy this great video of an excellent prank involving shampoo. I am not quite sure how to upload a video yet but here is the link!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PKQE8FM2Uw

What is your favorite shampoo? Got any more tips for washing your hair? If you tried this method, how did it work out for you? And if you are feeling really bold, video a hair commercial for us! Happy showering ladies.

Love, Mika.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My fav shampoo and conditioner is Bumble and Bumble, its works really good on my hair and its salon kind. I tried this way and I have been doing this ever since my hair stylist and my hair book said so. Love reading your posts Mika, keep it up

    ReplyDelete