Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Don't Roll Joints, Roll Velcro.

It's me! No makeup and rollers everywhere. 

Hi :) So today I bought velcro rollers because I love my hair and want it to look nice BUT I don't want to fry it. Such a dilemma. I can't keep straightening/curling my hair every day! Not to mention blow drying it every other day. And let's be reasonable, I am not going to leave my hair natural because its like freaking ski jumps all over my head. And pony tails are not happening every day! So I talked to my incredible hair dresser (who is my sister-in-law) Megan and she said they were pretty good for your hair. And I figured, "I already blow dry it! Why not curl it at the same time??" 
So I bought some. The ones I got are Conair Self Grip Rollers for Volume and Lift. (Its in a clear package and the label is white and purple.) The package had 31 curlers in it. Keep in mind, I had no idea what I was doing. I had seen like two pics in my life with girls in curlers and once in a while saw my mom put hot rollers in her hair. And when I Googled AND Pinterested and nothing came up! Here are the steps I took to try this: 
1. I took a shower and dried my hair. Your hair has to be pretty dry otherwise the curlers get tangled don't come out so I was very careful to dry it but I did spray it with some leave in conditioner and heat protectant.
2. I then BS'ed my way through rolling my hair. I put the biggest ones on the bottom and then used the medium ones throughout the rest of my hair.  I put them all horizontal and my hair was wrapped over the curler.
3. I put my blow dryer on heat setting "Hot" and "Low" airflow. I then heated my hair up.
4. Spritz with hair spray lightly.
5. Leave in for 15-30 minutes. The longer it stays in, the longer your hair will last.

I must say, it didn't turn out too bad. I'm glad I didn't do it in the morning because its a little poofy for my taste. My hair did calm down a touch after I slept on it but I just ended up throwing it up in a pony. Here is what it looked like after I took out the rollers and finger combed it.


I bought some more a few weeks after the above pic and rolled my hair in all of the small curlers and this is how it turned out!



It didn't turn out as curly as I wanted but I like the results! I think this would look awesome on longer hair too.

I reversed the sizes so that the biggest were on the top and the medium ones were on the bottom. it was a sleeker look with lots of volume. I loved it. This is great for second (or third) day hair that is flat and lifeless. Just throw them in, heat them up, put on makeup, take them out and done! I am a big fan of these. They are great for pony tails too because they add volume and help keep the hair all in one direction.

Thoughts? Comments? Tips??

Love, Mika.

1 comment:

  1. Your hair looks so cool! I've never tried curlers before... but maybe I'll do some research and try them. I'm trying to be better about actually styling my hair instead of just putting it up during the day. :)

    ReplyDelete